Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Just up the hill from the dorm we sub at is a garden with a tree house that waves the Brazilian flag. The garden belongs to a couple - he is German, she is Brazilian - and they have one redheaded boy. I met Ingrid several years ago and enjoy chatting with her whenever our paths cross downtown. She grew up in Brazil speaking German so coming here, at least linguistically, was not difficult.
Last May I introduced myself to some Brazilians in the grocery store, and now I'm teaching one of them English! She is 12 and a delightful child. We have great times together.
We have been thrilled over the years with the Brazilian contacts we have been able to make while living here in Germany. There is still a large part of our hearts which feels very warm toward Brazil and Brazilians (especially our own 2 "brasileiras"). Seeing a Brazilian flag out of the blue or hearing Portuguese on the street is such a bonus for us. We often wonder what lies ahead for us in relation to Brazil. It's an exciting thought!

1 comment:

Mike said...

Travel in Brasil, especially if you have knowledgeable and generous hosts, and I believe you will have a positive change towards the people and country. I wouldn't have visited without the repeated invitations I received from people serving there. I'm still grateful for those friendships and the ones I found there (the Duecks being just 1 found family) and the very, very largely positive experiences I had. Even the not-so-positive experiences had something to take home. And those were few. But you would do well to not take all of you-leave room in your mind and heart if you go. Go to see what they have to bear (and bare if you're near the beach), how things work and do not work well there, see what people have to do. See their needs. Maybe to go again!?