Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We haven't forgotten

You've seen these pictures before, but I thought I would
post them again today on
November 11.
The bunker where John McCrae was posted when he wrote the now famous poem.
The statue of "Canada" at Vimy Ridge, mourning for the thousands lost in the war.
The enormous Tyne Cot cemetery and memorial to the missing - the Commonwealth's largest.
The Canadian cemetery at Juno Beach.

Having visited these WWI and II sites this summer makes Remembrance Day much more meaningful. The price that was paid by our nation was enormous.
Reading the names of the boys written on these headstones
and in many cases the things that their families chose
to have inscribed there was powerful and heartbreaking.
I know I will never forget.

1 comment:

Ellie said...

i really hope i can get up to normandy to experience it for myself. thanks for posting this.