Saturday, December 6, 2008

St. Nicholaus Tag

The girls may be a bit old for this, but St. Nicholaus still came in the night to fill their shoes that their mom put out for them (since they had forgotten). I think this is a great pre-Christmas tradition. Read more about St. Nicholaus here: http://www.nerone.cc/nerone/archivio/arch66.htmKaty and I went down to the Christmas market in our local large town/small city. It was definitely a full house today! But there was a lot more to see than just the throngs of people.

Germans will eat outside in any kind of weather, but today was actually a warmish day for December (about +6) and I think I even would have stood outside to eat today!

These three kings were raising money for needy children. Each time someone put some money in their treasure chest, they would bang their staffs two times on the plywood on which they were standing. It made quite an impression!
Mistletoe.
There's always someone playing live music at the Christmas markets.
I think these are called "Schneemaenner". They are a traditional Christmas bread.
The wooden ornaments and decorations are definitely my favourites.


2 comments:

Mike said...

I loved seeing the ornaments. Wish I was there-yet again. Those who haven't had cassis syrup with club soda or seltzer have missed the best tasting grape soda! The bottles pictured (click on to enlarge the pictures) may be a type of fermented or distilled beverage, though.

Mike said...

I forgot to add: Cassis is the French for black currant(since that is how I've bought it) and Johannisbeer is German for black currant (and Himbeer is German for raspberry). Berry translates to German as Beere, according to online dictionaries.