Wednesday, September 17, 2008

At the Eck (corner)

This lovely little bridge was built in only 10 months in 2006 and stands at the "corner" of three countries - Germany, Switzerland and France. The "Three Countries Bridge" connects the twin towns, Weil am Rhein on the German and Huningue on the French side of the Rhine. With a span of approximately 230 m and a total length of 248 m, it is the longest cantilever pedestrian and cycle bridge in the world.


It was rather a grey day today, so the pictures above are "borrowed" and these below are the ones that I took.
As you can see from the markings, there is no confusing where you walk and where you ride.

2 comments:

Hi! My name is Janet. said...

I think I saw that bridge being installed on an airport run! lots of people were standing on the road watching, and the cars were driving really slowly so they could watch :)

Rachel said...

Cool! I've never been there - maybe I should try to go when I visit... So how long is Howard gone for?