Monday, July 7, 2008

Canada Geese - in England?

On a very blustery (and cold) day, we went for a drive and found this lovely little lake called "Chew Valley Lake". It was full of what we were sure were Canada Geese.
I asked a local bird watcher and he confirmed our belief, and said that the geese had been introduced to England some 150 years ago!
Apparently these birds don't migrate, which to me is a very curious thing. I wonder what happens to that natural instinct to just take off and fly away...
At any rate, it was lovely to see something very Canadian all the way across the ocean.

5 comments:

Ellie said...

you look very cold, eileen!!

Mike said...

Hurray for more blog communications. I have missed you all.

Mike said...

Do the geese still have their accents?

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

I think so, eh...!

Bill & Debby Bateman said...

I would have eaten one of the gooses. Quite tasty, like roastbeef, just avoid the shotgun pellets.

Miss you guys more than you know.

BB