Thursday, July 24, 2008

Juno Beach and a bit more

On the way to the Normandy beaches, we crossed over the Seine river on the "Pont de Normandie". As you can see, it is an impressively massive bridge. We felt like we were on the top of the world as we reached the summit of the bridge.




Finally, pictures of everyone who was on this trip:

My brother-in-law, LorenMy sister, Jean
My mom and my nephew, Nowel
My nephew, Brodie
My brother-in-law, Derek
My sister, Heather
Howard the amazing tour guide! I was along too but no shots of me are available at this time!
Juno beach, the site of the Canadian participation in the D-Day landing.

"Fourteen thousand young Canadians stormed Juno Beach on D-Day. Their courage, determination and self-sacrifice were the immediate reasons for the success in those critical hours. The fighting they endured was fierce and frightening. The price they paid was high - the battles for the beachhead cost 340 Canadian lives and another 574 wounded. John Keegan, eminent British historian who wrote Six Armies in Normandy, stated the following concerning the Canadian 3rd Division on D-Day: 'At the end of the day, its forward elements stood deeper into France than those of any other division. The opposition the Canadians faced was stronger than that of any other beach save Omaha. That was an accomplishment in which the whole nation could take considerable pride.'”


A German pill-box bunker which still lies on the beach.
Inside the museum at Juno, listening to stories.

No comments: