Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rollkuchen and Rebüs

Here is our dear friend, Ellie, making us a delicious supper of Rollkuchen and Rebüs. If you're a Mennonite, you know what this is. If you're not, well, you should! This is a meal for a hot day.
The Rollkuchen is basically a soft, slightly salty dough (made with lots of thick cream) which is cut into rectangles (sometimes twisted for a special effect) and deep fried. The Rebüs is just watermelon. So, what happens is that the person making the Rollkuchen basically slaves over the hot oil making this lovely "cool" meal for everyone who has experienced a very warm day. Makes sense to me! Of course it does. I've done it too! It's just one of those sacrificial moments. If you want the recipe, just let me know.Here are the girls visiting with our good friend, Mari Ellen. She also enjoyed this lovely Mennonite meal.

1 comment:

Sandee Shuman said...

Okay.....I HAVE to have the recipe! I heard all about this Mennonite specialty at the Canada Day BBQ! It looks so yummy! I had never heard of it before!
Would this taste good with powdered sugar on it?! Thats what I would be tempted to do, but maybe that would make it no longer Mennonite! (O: